Banana Rolls and Muffin Tops: Plastic Surgery Slang
Slang certainly serves a worthy purpose for plastic surgery patients. It allows you to discuss in common terms with friends and family the procedures that you are considering, the “problem areas” on your body, and it has a benefit of keeping fear levels down and the conversation light in general.
When you come into our office, we want you to know that plastic surgery slang is not a problem, we speak your language! However, we also want you to know the correct, technical terms for the topics you are interested in. Knowing the right names for “problem areas” and treatments will help you to be more informed when making decisions about your care.
Here is a list of common plastic surgery slang terms, what they mean, and their technical counterparts as available to get you started:
- Banana Rolls: Also known as “muffin bottom”, this term refers to fat collection under the buttocks. Can be treated with liposuction.
- Muffin Top: When excess fat and skin hang over the top of pants. Technical term: Abdominal Lipodystrophy
- Bat Wings/Chicken Wings: Underarm fat and skin that appears to hang like wings. A Brachioplasty procedure reshapes arms by removing excess skin and fat.
- Man Boobs: Abnormally large breasts on a man. Technical term: Gynecomastia. Can be treated with gynecomastia surgery.
- Puff Daddy: Puffiness above the pubic area, can be treated with liposuction.
- Elevens: Also known as frown lines, can be treated with BOTOX®. Technical term: Glabellar Rhytides
- Marionette Lines: Lines that go straight down from the corner of the mouth. May be treatable with fillers.
- Parentheses: Smile lines that develop from the side of the nose and run down the side of the mouth. Treatable with fillers.
- Eyelift: A procedure to remove excess skin and fat around the eyes. Technical term: Blepharoplasty.