Heal faster: Eat well and supplement to support your body!
Your body is the most important vessel you have on this earth, so always be sure to look after it! A study published in The Spine medical journal in November 1996 explained that the rate of postoperative healing improves when the nutritional status of a patient is adequate. It all starts with what you put IN your body that counts, let us take care of the outside!
Protein is very important in body healing and recovery. Protein contains amino acids (found in both animal and plant proteins) that promote healing, strengthen the immune system and support vital organs. During healing, new cells are produced to repair damaged cells, and this activity requires proteins. As soon as you are cleared for eating by our office, be sure to include protein in your diet as you heal. Great sources that also feel good after surgery include yogurt, soy milk products, and lean poultry.
The loss of vital nutrients during any surgical procedure is very common. That is why a very important part of your healing will be the use of surgical vitamins. We will help you coordinate your vitamins ahead of your surgery date.
Supplements may include:
• Bromelian – An enzyme found in pineapple juice with an anti-inflammatory formula. It is used most often after sports injuries and to help with post-surgical procedure swelling. In clinical trials, bromelian-based formations were more effective than an NSAID drug in relieving pain. Supplementing your diet with bromelian-based formulations greatly improves healing.
• Vitamin C – Essential for normal healing. Found in many citrus fruits as well as bell peppers, kale, broccoli, and cauliflower!
• Vitamin A – Essential to wound healing and your immune system, as well as creating great skin health! You can find vitamin A in sweet potatoes, carrots, lettuce, dried apricots and some tropical fruits.
• Arnica Montana – Is great as an ointment, gel, or cream. Arnica is believed to increase the flow of blood around bruised tissue, causing escaped fluids to be absorbed back into the body. This absorption makes the black and blue marks go away faster and reduces swelling by relieving the pressure on nerve endings.
• Arnika Forte – A supplement with a combination of arnica Montana, bromeliad, and grape seed extract. It helps speed healing time allowing for faster recovery from bruising, swelling, and pain associated with soft tissue injuries.
Important Note: Do NOT take any medicines containing Aspiring or Vitamin E for the first 2 weeks following surgery.
Here’s to your good health and prosperity!