The history of cosmetic surgery is probably longer than you might expect! In fact, you may be surprised to know that plastic surgery goes back hundreds of years!
Here are some of the more notable moments:
- 1500s: The first plastic surgery textbook is written by Italian surgeon Gaspare Tagliacozzi, who developed the “Italian method” of nose reconstruction.
- 1895: First breast augmentation. Tissue from the back of the breast was brought to the front, correcting asymmetry.
- 1899 – Breast Implant materials are developed and used. These included beeswax, oil and paraffin.
- 1910 – Plastic Surgery Training for WWI soldiers is developed in France.
- 1910 – Skin grafting takes a step forward thanks to Dr. Vilray Blair, also to help treat soldiers of WWI
- 1924 – First formal training program and fellowship for plastic surgery in the US is developed at Johns Hopkins.
- 1930 – Plastic surgeons and ER doctors spur the invention of shatterproof windshields.
- 1940 – Facial trauma centers are created during WWII to better treat soldiers.
- 1943 – First Female Plastic Surgeon Alma Dea Morani.
- 1950 – Plastic surgery is integrated into the medical establishment fully with board certification programs.
- 1962 – Silicone breast implants are unveiled.
- 1990 – Plastic Surgeon Dr. Murray wins Nobel Prize for his work in organ and cell transplantation.
- 1999 – First successful hand transplant.