For most people, all of the crunches, marathons, diets and cleanses in the world won’t completely eliminate belly fat and reveal that desired six-pack of abs. The fact is that most people are genetically pre-determined to retain some fat tissue in the abdominal area.
Here are the top 5 reasons why belly fat can be difficult (or impossible) to get rid of:
- Genes: As stated, your DNA is responsible for the general outline of your body shape and determines, to a large degree, where you will carry fat. That means that even thin people can carry an unwanted pooch of fat in their belly that is mostly out of their control. Surgical intervention can be a great choice for people who are at a healthy weight but still want to lose that pooch!
- Age: As we get older, our metabolic rate drops. This makes it harder to maintain healthy weight, and even harder to lose weight. Since you can’t reverse your age, sometimes surgery really is the only option to get you the abs that you want!
- Processed Foods: Refined grains, often found in processed foods, increase inflammation in the body, which is often a likely precursor to abdominal weight gain. No fad diets necessary here! Sticking to whole grains, lean proteins and plenty of fruits and veggies will give you a better shot at weight control in the tummy region.
- Stress: The stress hormone, cortisol, is thought to make your body hang onto fat more, enlarging your fat cells. Reducing stress in your professional and personal life encourages overall health, and may even reduce your waistline!
- Sleep Deprivation: Not getting enough sleep is linked to being overweight and obese. In fact, sleep deprivation is thought to be strongly correlated with abdominal fat in particular. Most people need at least 7 hours of sleep per night, so make sure that you are getting yours!
The bottom line is that for many people, those last inches of belly fat are simply out of their control. The good news is that we can help! Give us a call to find out more about achieving the abs of your dreams!